Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mommy's Girls

I don't think I prattle on too often about my children -- you can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll sort of apologize. Mostly, I'm just inspired by what they are busy with and support them as they make their way in the world, the same as I would with any of my friends.

That being said, just thought I'd share a little of their recent work here, beginning with the oldest first.

Hannah is in London attending Central St. Martin's College of Art & Design, as most of you know by now, and if you don't, please peruse her blog, listed in the links on the right. One of the things she has done while attending to course work there is to take an elective (extra-curricular) in fashion design, which has been her passion since she was about 2 years old. When she was a senior in high school, I remember a conversation we had about her future, in which she stated that all she wanted to do was get a degree in fashion design but being the practical girl that she is, said at the time, "It would be like growing up to be a princess". Nonetheless, it is a passion of hers and she's damn good at it, as exhibited here. That's some serious haute couture. Good work, darling. If it keeps your ivy room in London humming, just keep staying up all night. Obsession is the better part of valor.... to rework a phrase.

Next, we have Kitty, who has been whining about her lastest assignment in drawing class. The prof gave them an ink pen and asked that they do a piece that uses ALL the ink in the pen. She procrastinated a bit, which always puts the pressure on and can call up internal protest, but I do have to agree that it's a dubious assignment.... a little too attached to our over-expensing "culture". She was not in the best of moods last night at the Sparklehorse/Jesse Skypes show at First Avenue as a result. But, today, she sends me this..... .... and all I can think is that if this is what comes of bleeding all the ink from a pen, then bring more of these assignments! She says she's getting rid of the rest of the ink on bigger bird on another piece of paper that will accompany this drawing, but I like Daddy Brent's suggestion as well... "you grab another piece of paper and scribble on it until the ink runs out... you know... cheat!" I'd have to agree. An artist knows when a piece is DONE. Expensing ink for the sake of it does not a good piece of art make.

Girls... you are busy. That makes Mommy grin. Keep me grinning, okay?

6 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

mom... if you're going to brag... don't forget that kitty is playing the guitar and writing songs! come on! hahaha... love you... thanks.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger wendy lewis said...

see hannah? now there you are bragging about your sister!!! you figured that out.... kitty?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Northstar Gone Lone Star said...

Talent breeds talent, Dearies.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:30:00 AM  
Blogger Fatguy said...

Fantastic.
But don't be referencing the old "ink cheat" on the blog!
Totally Butsted!

The Professor

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger Fatguy said...

And I am butsted for spelling.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home