Monday, September 05, 2005

KATRINA

If you were traumatized, if you were starving & dehydrated, if you had lost everything, if you were hopeless and locked into the brutal jaws of despair, if your friends and family had been swept away and life had become meaningless, who might you conjure to greet you at the bleary, bare-bulb-lit end of that tunnel? I know who I would conjure. And so do all of you.

This in from Trisha Corona tonight.....just got a call from my boss. 200 + evacuees are arriving at the fairgrounds tomorrow. they will stay in our annex building for 30 - 90 days. i'm the point person. finally! i get to do something meaningful up there. we're splitting shifts and will be working 24/7...somebody spends every night up there. send your prayers, darling.

Brent & I looked at each other .... and I said...."We could leave on Wednesday.... " Head south?

After spending days and days reading, watching "journalists" (could it actually be?) return on CNN, MSNBC and even the FOX network ... TC is one woman on the redemption front of disaster gone beyond disaster. Meanwhile, others weigh in. Sugar Q....? Didn't you say there was a family coming to upstate NY? Say more. And Lola says, "i know...it is incredible. what an indescribable loss...and I never even got there. I wish I was able to just go on down there and help hoist whatever needs hoisting, y'know?"

Scott (Andre) sends this: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/opinion/05krugman.html. Read it. Brent is writing a letter to the editor as I write this.

"Often Anonymous" Nick sent these....
http://technolalia.com/~ndronen/music/Marcia_Ball/Let_Me_Play_With_Your_Poodle/Louisiana_1927.mp3
http://billmon.org/archives/002120.html

There is so much.... so much more to read, to say.... to do. Let's get this thread going. It's all I can do right now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The light
at the end
of the tunnel.
Do you see it?
Do you see it?

The light
in the tunnel.
I don't see it.
Do you see it?
I don't see it.

The light
at the end
of the tunnel.
Is it there?
I don't see it.

I'm looking.
Is it there?
Do you see it?
The light.
Do you see it?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger wendy lewis said...

No... actually, I don't see much light for these people -- but I'm holding out for possibility, especially where this particular post is concerned. I think it's the least I can do.... especially knowing who I know tread here.

For certain, I can't "see" you, Anonymous, which is how you apparently like it. Hope you feel braver in your anonimity. Sleep well, under your fuzzy blanket. (Nick?)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poem is nice but not mine. Someone else is anonymous, too. N.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Northstar Gone Lone Star said...

So you're headed to NC. I think that's great. We dropped a bunch of clothes, towels, bedding, and personal care items at the local AmeriSuites where 50 families are beiing housed. It doesn't seem like much, all things considered, but it's what we could do for now.

I will be back in MN next week. What should I do with the pretty stone if you guys are gone? Do you know when you'll be back?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger wendy lewis said...

looks like we have our own coming in droves to Camp Ripley. that's closer and easier for us to manage given the constraints of our lives. we'll look into that instead. bob told me about it this morning when he stopped in for some communal frowning, bitching & sighing. maybe the four of us will make a trip up there to help.

it's all so unbelievable. such far-flung distances from their homes .... i can't imagine how surreal it must be ... at best.

and nick... brent was sure if you didn't write the poem, you'd say so. he was right. (just checking....) i get bored with the anonymous thing. i mean... why?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1-800-440-6728 is the number to call for volunteer opportunities and donations of goods and services. As we've seen the whole thing is just a bit disorganized.. so this is how they're trying to create a database by skill-sets. They take down your (very) basic info for review and apparently will then call you back.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check this:

http://www.thinkprogress.org/katrina-timeline

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home