Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sausage & Bacon

The last couple weekends have been "all about meat", more or less. Last weekend, Brent and I took the backroads, the only roads, to Buggy & Miss Vickie's in order to witness how does or bucks reach their culinary nirvana. Buggy had done his manly country duty in the fall -- taken down his deer -- and he and his hunting compadres finally gathered in the garage for the sausage stuffing extravaganza. 260# of meat ground in this turn of the century contraption......emerging as potato/venison sausage or jalapeno & cheese/venison sausage, to name two. I can't deny there is something very phallic and contraceptive about the process of stuffing sausage, jokes abounding, and if I can figure out how to get videos onto the blog, you can see and hear for yourself. Until then, I won't say more. And here, the venison stix, as proffered by the smoker. Meat is classically difficult to photograph but just imagine it in your mouth... or.... something like that. Really really tasty. Buggy, if I've recounted any of this in error, please feel free to correct me in the comments. Now, on to the topic of bacon.


Meanwhile, on St. Clair and Cleveland, my great uncle Eddie's early 1920's Bacon banjo was being brought back to life after years in storage. I had dragged it's bedraggledness on stage for a Neil Young cover with Redstart (For the Turnstiles) a few times over the last year or two but it was in need of some serious professional love. The banjo doctor at Willie's declared it a true gem -- in great shape -- all serial numbers and even the original factory stickers in tact (which increases the value even more) sporting a special order and rare resonator. He replaced the head, made adjustments and put on new strings. I've spent the evening reading up on and practicing banjo finger picking patterns. I'm pretty sure this is my new love affair, secret hillbillie that I am. The fact that it has four strings instead of six together with awesome bluegrass open tunings makes it my kind of deal. She's a beauty, as "they say".

2 Comments:

Blogger wendy lewis said...

well sure... why not...?.... on both counts.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Fatguy said...

Mmmmmmm, tasty.
Yet disturbing.
And twangy.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home